Effects of E. Coli O157:H7 Linked to Grilled Burger Leaves Woman Paralyzed

— Written By

This Food Safety Infosheet offers food safety reminders regarding ground beef after a Minnesota woman became ill, and ultimately paralyzed, after eating a home-cooked hamburger contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.

Highlights:

  • Ground beef has been linked to at least 16 outbreaks since 2007.
  • In 2009, this pathogen led to the recall of beef from nearly 3,000 grocers in 41 states.
  • Cook all ground beef to 155°F for 15 seconds or 160°F for an instant kill.
  • Clean and sanitize all surfaces (cutting boards, counters) where ground beef items were prepared.

Article first appeared on foodsafetyinfosheets.org