Over 30 Ill With Clostridium Perfringens at Parent-Teacher Conference in Evanston, Ill.

— Written By

At least 30 people became ill after chicken-based BBQ prepared by Merle’s smokehouse was consumed at a parent-teacher event at Haven Middle School in Evanston, Illinois in February. This Food Safety Infosheet details the outbreak of Clostridium perfringens, which was due to food held at incorrect temperatures.

Highlights:

  • Outbreak traced to catered BBQ that was held at incorrect temperatures
  • Food was reportedly delivered by caterer and BBQ dishes sat out at room temperature throughout the afternoon and evening.
  • Have the proper tools available, such as chafing dishes with a heat source, to keep the food above 135°F.

Article first appeared on foodsafetyinfosheets.org