Unlicensed Las Vegas Caterer a Source of Clostridium Perfringens Intoxications

— Written By

This Food Safety Infosheet covers a 2012 outbreak of Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin intoxication due to an unlicensed caterer improperly reheating food in small microwave ovens. Microwave ovens often heat food unevenly; tip-sensitive thermometers should be used to take temperatures in multiple places.

Highlights:

  • 21 attendees of a catered lunch reported diarrhea and vomiting.
  • Toxin associated with Clostridium perfringens was isolated from some of the attendees.
  • The pathogen was found in ham and a plate of mixed food that was served at the luncheon.

Article first appeared on foodsafetyinfosheets.org