Be Ready for Storms
This Food Safety Infosheet covers food safety in the wake of a disaster or emergency. Information on what refrigerated and frozen foods are safe to eat after a power failure is given, as well as tips to keep foods cool while the power is out.
- Place a thermometer in your fridge and freezer
- Have a tip-sensitive digital thermometer ready to check foods
- Have items that don’t require refrigeration and can be eaten cold or heated on an outdoor grill
- Freeze containers of water for ice and to help keep food cold in the appliances
- Plan ahead by preparing coolers and knowing where dry ice and block ice suppliers are
Article first appeared on foodsafetyinfosheets.org.