Nearly 60 Ill With Clostridium Perfringens at Outdoor School in Oregon

— Written By

This Food Safety Infosheet describes an outbreak of Clostridium perfringens that was traced to beef stroganoff held at an improper temperature.

Highlights:

  • Multnomah County, Oregon, health officials, 60 students developed stomach pains, vomiting, and diarrhea after eating beef stroganoff.
  • C. perfringens spores often survive cooking but are not a problem until the food is held at an improper temperature.
  • These spores can germinate into cells which then can multiply to food poisoning levels if food is held between 41°F and 135°F for more than four hours.
  • Use a tip sensitive digital thermometer to measure temperature and monitor throughout service and cooling.

Article first appeared on foodsafetyinfosheets.org.