COVID-19 and Produce Food Safety
Food and food packaging are not considered significant ways of spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Many people have questioned whether fresh produce is still safe, or what should be done while shopping for and preparing produce. It is recommended to wash produce with cool running water only. Dish soaps and disinfectants are not intended for food and could cause harm if consumed.
Whether produce is purchased at the grocery store or farmers’ market, it is important to maintain social distancing as much as possible and try to only touch what you will buy.
Check out these Resources for More Information
- Is Coronavirus a Concern with Fresh Produce? (3.24.20)
- Is Coronavirus a Concern at the Grocery Store? (3.20.20) – en espanol
- Shopping and Handling Groceries (3.28.20)
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Reusable Bags (3.26.20)
- Handling COVID-19 at Community Gardens (3.26.20) – en espanol
Resources for Farmers and Gardeners
- Handling COVID-19 at Farmers’ Markets (3.26.20) – en espanol
- Handling COVID-19 at U-Pick Farms (3.26.20) – en espanol
- Guidance for Farm Stands (3.26.20)
- Guidance for Produce Farms and Packinghouses (3.30.20)
- Guidance for Agribusiness (3.31.20)
- Is Coronavirus an Issue in Produce Production? (3.26.20)
Follow @SafePlatesFSIC on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to see more on produce and COVID-19.