COVID-19 and Grocery Shopping
There are many questions surround grocery shopping and handling food during the COVID-19 pandemic. There is no data currently that food or food packaging is a risk factor for the transmission of the COVID-19 virus. Current evidence shows the biggest risk of transmission of COVID-19 is being around individuals who have symptoms (and to a lesser extent, infected but not showing symptoms.) Grocery stores should be following employee health policies and health department recommendations to keep these individuals home.
If you want to reduce risk while grocery shopping, check out the following resources:
- Is COVID-19 a Food Safety Issue? (3.17.20)
- Is Coronavirus a Concern with Takeout? (3.23.20)
- Is Coronavirus a Concern at the Grocery Store? (3.20.20)
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Reusable Bags (3.26.20)
- Shopping and Handling Groceries (3.28.20)
For more resources check out our COVID-19 Food Safety Resources page.